Liberty County, Texas
Liberty County, part of the Big Thicket and the Coastal Prairie, is surrounded by Polk County on the north, Hardin County on the east, Jefferson County on the southeast, Chambers County on the south, Harris County on the Southwest, Montgomery County on the west and San Jacinto County on the northwest. Liberty County is located on Highway 90, halfway between Beaumont and Houston.
Cities, Towns & Communities
Ames | Cleveland | Daisetta | Davis Hill | Dayton | Devers | Dolen | Eastgate | Hardin | Hightower | Hull | Kenefick | Liberty - county seat | Macedonia | Moss Bluff | Moss Hill | North Cleveland | Old Atascosito | Plum Grove | Rayburn | Raywood | Romayor | Rye | Tarkington Prairie
Liberty County, formed and organized in 1836 in the new Republic of Texas, originally included all of the future Tyler County and parts of what later became Hardin, Chambers, San Jacinto, and Polk counties. Liberty was named county seat and incorporated in 1837. Sam Houston maintained two homes in the area and purchased more than 20,000 acres of land within the county's original boundaries.Wealthy aristocratic Creole planters from Louisiana arrived in Liberty County with their slaves in 1845, and by 1850 the county population had grown to 2,522. Sawmills made the lumber industry the county's first major industry. River travel by steamboat flourished from 1838 to 1878. The Texas and New Orleans Railroad (later the Southern Pacific) from Houston via Liberty and Beaumont to Orange was in place by 1860. Read Liberty County History from the Handbook of Texas Online >>
County & Town Histories
Liberty, Liberty County, and the Atascosito District, 1974, by Miriam Partlow.