Cities, Towns and Communities
Zavala County. In 1832 land grant of Mexico to John Charles Beales. Lake Espantosa was campsite on road from Mexico to San Antonio. County created from Uvalde and Maverick, 1858. During the Civil War, especially in 1863-1864, was crossed by Cotton Road to Eagle Pass, entry point of Confederate goods. Including guns, powder, medicines. Organized 1884. Named in honor of Lorenzo de Zavala (1788-1836), signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence; first vice president to serve Republic of Texas. Original county seat was Batesville. Since 1927 it has been Crystal City. – Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1965. Location: from Crystal City, take Highway 83, about 1.9 miles north.
Zavala County. Explored as early as 1691 by the expedition of Domingo Teran de Los Rios, Spanish governor of Texas. The historic San Antonio Road crossed this region from southwest to northeast and was used by most of the Spanish explorers and travelers of the 18th century. French-American explorer St. Denis used it in 1714, as did the Canary Islanders, who made one of the first civil settlements in San Antonio, in 1718. The county was created in 1858 from Uvalde and Maverick counties and named for Texas patriot and statesman Lorenzo de Zavala. Not until 1884, however, did enough people reside here to permit it to be organized. The first county seat was Bates City, later renamed Batesville. First judge was J. M. Downs and commissioners were W. C. Mangum, E. P. Waller, V. M. West and G. B. Kenney. Before 1884 was out, a school election had been held in Palo Blanco, and a $7,500 contract had been let for a courthouse and jail. When the county seat moved to Crystal City (1928) courthouse and jail were built here. New courthouse erected 1969 at cost of $475,000 was commissioned by 1968-1969 county courts: Irl Taylor, Judge; Cecil Davis, Jr.; F. D. Keller, Jr.; H. R. Reynolds; E. B. Ross; Jesus Rodriguez; and Henry Volz, Jr., commissioners. – Historical Marker Text. Marker erected. 1969. Location: US 83 south to US 65 east (left) until you see Zavala County Courthouse highway sign, make a left (markers on right).