Raymondville, the county seat of Willacy County, is at the intersection of State Highways 186 and 448 and is bordered on the east by U.S. Highway 77; the community is twenty-two miles west of Port Mansfield on the Missouri Pacific line in the center of the county.
Edward Burleson Raymond. Founder of Raymondville. Born in a log house on Congress Avenue, Austin, son of Republic of Texas lawyer and newspaperman N. C. Raymond and wife Lucinda (Riggs), E. B. Raymond came on horseback to South Texas in 1870. After herding cattle uptrail to Kansas, he was hired about 1874 by Richard King to open El Sauz Ranch, and managed King-Kenedy interests for 37 years. He also developed a ranch of his own, married Juanita Rodrigurez, and was the father of two sons, Fred N. and Edward Charles. When El Sauz Post Office was created in 1893, he was made postmaster. He was a school official and served 1898-1910 as a commissioner of Cameron County. Joining other ranchers in deeding right of way for St. Louis, Brownsville & Mexico Railway, he also donated a station site near his Las Majadas Ranch. Railway officials named the station in his honor. In 1904, the year rail service was formally inaugurated on the fourth of July, he organized Raymond Town & Improvement Co.; in 1907, became president of town’s first bank; set up telephone exchange; built cotton gin. After his death, Raymondville became seat of government  for new county of Willacy, created 1921.[sic] Historical marker text, 1974. Marker location: 427 S. 7th St. Raymondville.
[Raymondville became the county seat of Willacy County in 1921; Willacy county had been formed in 1911 with Sarita as the county seat. In 1921, Willacy County was reorganized, as Kenedy county was formed from the northern portion of Willacy county. Sarita was in this northern portion.]
First Baptist Church of Raymondville. This congregation traces its history to 1907, when services were held in a two-story home on 7th Street shared with other denominations. The First Baptist Church was officially organized in 1914. The members built a wooden structure on this site, and the Rev. S. F. Baucum and the Rev. E. L. Phipps were appointed ministers. The Sunday School was organized in 1921; Training Union and the Woman’s Missionary Union were begun in 1922. Missionary programs were a focus for the First Baptist Church congregation, which established missions in 1927, 1936, and 1938 to serve area Hispanic and African American citizens. A ground breaking ceremony for a new sanctuary was held in 1944, and the first worship service was hald in the new facility on May 15, 1949. In 1953, First Baptist Church members established a mission which became the Wood Avenue Baptist Church; it later merged with the founding congregation. A Sunday morning radio ministry was begun on November 13, 1959. Throughout its history, the First Baptist Church of Raymondville has served the community with a variety of worship, educational, and outreach programs. Historical marker text, 1992. Marker location: 301 W. 5th St., Raymondville.
Raymondville Texas History from the Handbook of Texas Online.