Washington County History Written in 1858
Washington County is on the west side of the Brazos, that river marking the eastern boundary. This county was settled in the early history of Texas, and still numbers among its inhabitants many of the pioneer families, who are now enjoying, in comfortable independence, their hard-earned rewards. The county has much substantial wealth. The face of the country is level, with much prairie, excepting on the water-courses. Cotton is the most important production, and one for which the climate and soil are well suited. Brenham is the county-seat, and quite a thriving place. At this time (1857) there are signs of vigorous improvement, and many new buildings going up ; and the ox-wagons, the ” peculiar institution” of this country, are hauling away cotton, and returning with merchandise and building materials. The mechanics are all fully employed., and wagons, ploughs, and furniture, are turned out in goodly quantities. The constant din of mechanical sounds, as the rough and stubborn wood and metals are fashioned for the convenience and comfort of man, be speak a thriving community. The location of Brenham is beautiful ; the rolling hills surrounding the town diversify the scenery ; and the stately trees, left as Nature planted them, lend a charm to the prospect, and beautify the happy location. A writer says, that the post oak land of this county is much underrated ; it is easier cultivated, and fencing cheaper than in the prairie ; there is in these lands the advantage of an abundant supply of mast for hogs.
It is estimated that the very few farmers living on the Yeaguas, in this county, sold, during the year 1856, 100,000 pounds of pork, at 4 1/2 to 5 cents per pound. The lands, generally, are noted for their productiveness, readily yielding from 40 to 75 bushels of corn to the acre, or from 1000 to 3000 pounds of cotton.
Improved farms may be purchased at $10 per acre, unimproved land at $3. There is plenty of red-cedar and post-oak timber, and many other less valuable kinds.
Brenham is 100 miles from Galveston. – Braman’s information about Texas, 1858