Handley is a station on the Texas & Pacific Railroad seven miles east of Fort Worth. Until the construction of the interurban line between Fort Worth and Dallas it was an unimportant station. The interurban company located its power house, machine shops and other facilities at Handley, and the growth of the place was at once rapid and substantial. An attractive resort was established, known as Lake Erie, with a beautiful pavilion for the entertainment of the patrons, of the line. The town now has a large number of prosperous commercial establishments, and good school buildings and churches are among the evidences of prosperity. – History of Texas, 1922, by W. Barrett Travis.