Like many other West Texas communities created with a coming rail line, Peacock developed in conjunction with the Tamford & Northwestern Railway. Originally called Alluvia, Peacock was renamed in 1910 for three brothers: John W., Braxton B. nd James M. Peacock, who moved their mercantile store from nearby Oriana (Orianna) (3 mi. W). G.A. Gray, who had purchased land from the railroad, sold 100 acres for the original townsite, including many of the lots for businesses and homes. The Peacock Mercantile also served as a post office, which opened in 1910, although earlier service to the area began as early as 1902 under the name Lingo Post Office. Soon after 1910 there were several local businesses, including three groceries, barbershop, two drugstores, lumberyard, dry goods store, blacksmith shop, bank, hotel, school, cafes, jewelry store, tailor shop and grist mill. The community’s early development seemed to parallel that of Aspermont, the county seat, in population and resources. Growth was continuous until 1914, when a catastrophic tornado devastated the town, leveling almost every business and home. Nearly every resident survived, though, and within ten years, citizens had rebuilt Peacock. The Great Depression and decades of urban migration caused a decline in population, but Peacock remained a strong community. By 1934, the Peacock school district had absorbed surrounding Centerview, Oriana and Double Mountain schools. Annual homecomings began in 1963, the year before Peacock schools consolidated into Aspermont schools. The homecomings continue to bring residents and descendants of original settlers together to celebrate the rich area history. (2003) – Historical Marker Text. Historical marker located on the Public Square (FM 2211) in Peacock.
Cities in Texas
Counties in Texas