Ballinger History 1922. The only important centers of population in 1890 was Ballinger, with a population of 1,128, and in 1910 of 3,536, Other towns are Winters. Miles and Rowens. The formal beginning of the history of Ballinger dates from June 29. 1886. when the first sale of town lots was held. In 1920, Ballinger’s population was nearly 4.000. and it was one of the principal trading centers of Coke, Concho and Runnels counties. Among its principal industries were four gins, oil mill, compress and its Creasy Rotary Gin Saw Filer Company. Ballinger has eight churches, two Presbyterian, one Methodist, one Baptist, two Christian, one Catholic. one Episcopalian. all housed in substantial buildings. There are four schools, High School, Grammar and two Ward Schools. The Halley and Love Sanitarium and Nurses Training School is located here. Ballinger has numerous wholesale lumber, grain. grocery and produce houses. Its three banks have resources of about 52.250.000. – History of Texas, 1922, by W. Barrett Travis.