Springtown is located 18 miles northeast from Weatherford. For many years it has been a prosperous country town, well supplied with church and school accommodations. It is recognized as one of the best trade territories in the county. Its citizens are a very high type of church-going people. Its establishment anti-dates the Civil War. It is well-watered from flowing springs and shallow artesian wells of soft water, which some of the old-timers say blended well with liquor when the supply in the barrels were running low. Among the old-time well-known merchants were Ward Bros., J. A. Kidd, Sam Roberson, Matt D. Akard, Roundtree and Doughty, A. J. Cunningham, G. B. Moody, the Hutchesons, and others. – History of Parker County and the Double Log Cabin: being a brief symposium of the early history of Parker County, together with short biographical sketches of early settlers and their trials, Weatherford, Tex, 1937, page 119
Eureka Lodge No. 371, A. F. & A. M. The Eureka Masonic Lodge entered into an agreement with W.L. Hutcheson to build this two-story structure in 1897. Over the years, while the first floor housed a variety of businesses, including Hutcheson’s hardware store, the lodge continued to occupy the second floor. Exhibiting influences of the Romanesque revival style, the building features round-arch windows, a detailed keystone on the upper central window, and a red sandstone cornerstone. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1987. – Historical Marker Text. Marker located at theorner of SH 51 (Main Street) and 1st Street in Springtown.
Springtown Postcards and Photographs >>
|Springtown 1906 Girls Basketball Team from the Parker County TXGenWeb site|