New Hope, located on New Hope Road, off SH 199, is north of FM 2257 in northeastern Parker County.
New Hope Cemetery & New Hope Baptist Church. Pioneer settler Joseph Wren donated five acres of land at this site in 1875 for use as a community cemetery. The church, which had been meeting in a log building (2 miles northeast), moved here later that same year. The name “New Hope” was suggested by Mattie Brookshire. The first interment in the cemetery was that of an infant girl, Mary Sudduth, who died in 1876. A schoolhouse, used until the 1920s, was located on land now included in the burial grounds. An annual homecoming is held here each May. – Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1981. Location: From Springtown, take SH 199 about 4 miles to FM 2257, follow FM 2257 north and then east (through 9 very sharp curves) to New Hope Road -head north about 1 mile to cemetery.
|New Hope School and Students photo from the Parker County TXGenWeb site||New Hope School and Students 1911 photo from the Parker County TXGenWeb site|
More New Hope School Photos from the Parker County TXGenWeb site