Adell is twelve miles northwest of Weatherford on the Jacksboro road. The first business there was a small grocery store put up by J. R Fondren in December, 1889, and was called Fondren’s Store. In March, 1890, B. B. Barton from Denton County moved there, put in a little store and petitioned for a postoffice.
While in Dallas buying merchandise for his, store from the Sanger mercantile company, Barton remarked to Alex Sanger that he had petitioned for a postoffice but had not yet selected a name for the new town. Sanger suggested that it be named “Adell” for the prettiest girl in Dallas, his daughter. The name was adopted at that time and has continued in use even until today. About the same year, E. D. Herring set up a blacksmith shop, and later bought the Fondren store. The Barton family moved north of Adell in 1894 and established another community, which became known as Advance. Adell once supported a gin, but now has a blacksmith shop, a public well, and a general store owned and operated by F. M. Guerry. – History of Parker County and the Double Log Cabin: being a brief symposium of the early history of Parker County, together with short biographical sketches of early settlers and their trials, Weatherford, Tex, 1937, page 115