Skip to Content
Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Long Branch History 1936

Long Branch History Written in 1936

Longbranch is not one of the oldest towns that one would expect it to be. Being close to Clayton, Fairplay and Pine Hill, only three miles away, its populace was scattering and its organization was not as early as these named. It is located on a long clear branch or stream, unsurpassed in the natural beauty and course, clear water and pebbly beds throughout its length.

Some of the names of the very earliest settlers obtainable are as follows: Williamsons, McCormacks, Halley, Listers, Owens, Hughes, Holders, Longs, Ashs, and Griffins. Later there were Roquemores, Turners, Cassitys, and many others.

Mr. Will Ash built the first store. Jerry H. Long was one of the earliest school teachers—today we speak of him as Judge J. H. Long, one of the best known citizens of the County.

Longbranch had a post office at an early date. Mr. Halley, post master and later assisted by his son, Pope Halley. A telephone office was also rendering service among the first in the County's smaller towns.

This town has one County distinction, in that it is the "newest railroad town." The railroad extending from Timpson, through Ragley, a saw mill town, on to Longbranch, Pine Hill and Henderson, was known as the Timpson and Henderson Railroad.

Longbranch experienced a boom—it grew rapidly—drawing citizens from neighboring towns and those more remote. R. R. Rettig, Hughes, Crims, Cassitys, Roquemores, Owens, Holders, and Turneys, (perhaps others we failed to be informed about) entered into various lines of business. A State Bank was organized—a few brick buildings adorned the square—Roquemore's Hotel accommodated the travelers.



32° 4' 22.584" N, 94° 34' 4.728" W