DeBerry 1936. The community of DeBerry had its origin sometime in the year of 1878. In much the same way all the other communities that grew to towns or villages—by the residences first of log, and then remodeled with lumber, being built close together for convenience.
Sabine River made it inconvenient to reach Carthage in its earlier history—roads were narrow and rough—wagons were the popular ways of transportation. These conditions led to the organization of the present town called DeBerry for Captain or Lawyer DeBerry as he was often referred to. He had, signal honor conferred on him. He was the first Secretary of State after the Civil War. During Governor Cokes administration. He resided in Carthage, Texas and his law office was on the site of the Grimes residence, known to early citizens as the “Snow Home”, the oldest landmark of that town.
Steil, Furrh and Rogers Company established a big business there Paul and Molt Anderson also had businesses located here at that time. Others, Jack Rogers and Monroe Caddenhead, and his son. The story is told that Monroe Cadenhead had a very large farm one and one-half miles from the present town site. He was quite successful and at the time of his death he had $16,000.00 in gold buried under his crib. Continue Reading DeBerry History from 1936 >>