Mason County, located in Central Texas near the center of the state, surrounded by McCulloch County on the north, San Saba County on the northeast, Llano County on the east, Gillespie County on the south, Kimble County on the southwest and Menard County on the west.
Cities, Towns & Communities
Art | Behrens | Camp Air | Cold Spring | Double Knobbs | Fly Gap | Fredonia | Grit | Grossville | Katemcy | Hedwigs Hill | Hilda | Koockville | Long Mountain | Loyal Valley | Mason – county seat | Pontotoc | Streeter | Wagram
Mason County was originally part of the Bexar District. When Gillespie County was marked off in 1848, most of the future Mason County was included within its boundaries. On January 22, 1858, Mason County, named for Fort Mason, was established by an act of the state legislature. George W. Todd organized the county on August 2 of that year. The act required that a county seat be established within two miles of the fort, and on May 20, 1861, voters chose the town of Mason for this purpose. The original boundaries of the county have remained virtually unchanged over the years. Mason County grew slowly at first due to the danger of Indian attacks (despite the presence of Fort Mason), and also because of the onset of the Civil War shortly after the county was organized. Most early settlers were farmers, and agriculture centered around providing basic necessities. In 1860 the chief crops were Indian corn and sweet potatoes. Cattle raising was the most profitable business in Mason County from an early date, and ranchers began to stock the open ranges before the Civil War. Read Mason County History from the Handbook of Texas Online >>
Mason County Historical Book, 1976, Mason County Historical Commission.
Mason and Mason County: A History, 1966; rev. ed., 1980, by Stella Gipson Polk.
“Mason County, Texas, 1845–1870,” by Margaret Bierschwale in the Southwestern Historical Quarterly 52, April 1949.