In the mid-1800s the Texas legislature directed the people of Leon County to choose a site for the county seat and call it Leona. Court was held at the home of Moses Campbell until a courthouse could be built. A post office opened in 1846 with James C. Boggs as postmaster. In October 1850, after hearings had reached the Supreme Court of Texas, Leona lost its status as county seat to the more centrally located Centerville. In 1907-08 Leona had one school for white students and two schools for black students. Population statistics given for the town range from 150 in 1844 to fifty in 1896. In 1933 the town had a population of 200 and fourteen businesses. The population declined to 91 in 1980 but then rose to 165 in 1982. In 1990 Leona had one business and a population of 178. The population was 181 in 2000. Source: Handbook of Texas Online.
Site of the First Court House Built in Leon County. Here a log building was erected in 1846. County officials installed Nov. 12, 1846: Geo. V. Lusk, Chief Justice Wm. Childress, Probate Judge Israel P. Reinhardt, County Clerk Wm. B. Middleton, Sheriff David Foster, Coroner Baxter King, Assessor and Col. Commissioners: John C. Smith Robert Steele Samuel Davis James Evans The county seat was moved in 1850 to Centerville. – Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1936. Located at behind Post Office at intersection of SH 75 and FM 977, Leona.
William B. Middleton. A participant of the Mier Expedition, 1842, first sheriff of Leon County. Born in Illinois August 4, 1819; died March 17, 1877. His first wife Mary J. Potts Middleton, born Sept. 9, 1823; died May 5, 1874. In memory of Beoni Middleton who died in prison in Mexico while a prisoner of the Mier Expedition. – Historical marker text. Marker erected 1936. Location: from intersection of SH 75 and FM 977 in Leona, go W on FM 977 .8 of mi. to dirt road on S side of road at 1174, go S on dirt road to Makamson Cemetery.