Lee County, Texas
Cities, Towns & Communities
Lee County History from The Handbook of Texas Online
History of Texas, together with a biographical history of Milam, Williamson, Bastrop, Travis, Lee and Burleson counties Digital book online from the Portal to Texas History.
Lee County has had two courthouses; one built in 1878 which burned in 1897 and the current courthouse, built in 1899.
Text from the plaque, at the courthouse: "Designed by J.R. Gordon along lines similar to New York State Capitol and several buildings at Harvard University. Classified as Richardsonian Romanesque style, after the famous Louisiana-born architect Henry B. Richardson. Built by Sonnefield, Emmins and Abright of San Antonio, 1899. Replaced first courthouse, which burned 1897. Located on crest of divide separating the Colorado and Brazos River Basins. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1968."
Lee County 1874 from the Portal to Texas History.
Lee County 1888 from Historic Map Works