Fort Clark. A strategic installation in the U.S. Army’s line of forts along the military road stretching from San Antonio to El Paso, Fort Clark was established in June 1852. Located near natural springs and Las Moras Creek, its site was considered a point of primary importance to the defense of frontier settlements and control of the U.S. Mexico border. Many infantry regiments and almost all cavalry regiments were at one time based at Fort Clark, as well as companies of Texas Rangers and Confederate troops during the Civil War. The Army’s Seminole-Negro Indian Scouts also were assigned to Fort Clark, and with black troops of the 10th Cavalry and 24th and 25th infantry played a decisive role in the Indian campaigns of the 1870s. Prominent military leaders who served here include Col. Ranald S. Mackenzie, Gen. Wesley Merritt, Gen. William R. Shafter, Gen. John L. Bullis, Gen. Zenas R. Bliss, Gen. Jonathan M. Wainwright, and Gen. George S. Patton, Jr. Fort Clark remained a horse-cavalry post for the U.S. Army through World War II and finally was inactivated in 1946. The fort property, including many native stone buildings constructed by civilian craftsmen in the 1870s, was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. – Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1994. Locatied Inside Ft. Clark: fronts Bowie Street just east of Intersection of Bowie and Main Streets, near entrance (off Highway 90), Brackettville.
Fort Clark, USA. 1852-1946 Founded June, 1852. Guarded California road, rebuffed Indians, outlaws. Named for Maj. J. B. Clark, killed in Mexican War. Companies of infantry, artillery, cavalry stationed here. Clothing issued proved too warm for summer. Buildings were too cold for winter until chimneys were built in 1856. Troops routed Indians to Pecos River mouth, helped expel bandit Cortinas from Brownsville, 1859 Union gave up Clark, 1861, after Texas seceded — re- occupied it 1866. Used Seminole Scout Company. Indian reservation established near post. Duty here, decade after Civil War, was said to be equivalent to honorable mention. Practically all U.S. Cavalry regiments served here. 5th Cavalry served 1920-41. In World War II, 2nd and 11th Cavalry trained here. Post inactivated Feb. 9, 1946. Erected by the State of Texas 1963. – Historical Marker Text. Located on Highway 334 east, in front of Courthouse, Brackettville.