Kaufman County, Texas
Cities, Towns and Communities
Kaufman County lies on the borderline of the black prairie and hardwood forest belt of East Texas, and its soils are characteristic of those physiographic regions, with the transitional belt between. Roughly, the western third of the county belongs to the Houston soil series, the central to the Wilson, and the eastern to the Kirvin-Norfolk sandy-land types. Considerable areas of alluvium are found along the Trinity and East Fork, where many thousands of acres are cultivated under the protection of levees.
The county was created from Henderson County, February 26, 1848, and included what is now Rockwall County. Organization was perfected August. 7, in the same year, and the first court was held December 18, 1848, with Judge Bennett H. Martin presiding. The session was brief, for a week later—on Christmas day—we find His Honor opening court at Jordan's Saline in another new county—Van Zandt. Kaufman's first court house was a grove near what was thought to be the center of the county, about five miles north of the present county seat. Continue reading the History of Kaufman County Written About 1940 >>