Rio Vista. Located in an area of Johnson County‘s earliest settlement, Rio Vista was founded on the railroad in 1885. The townsite, which affords views of both Nolan River and Mustang Creek, was given the spanish name for “River View”. The post office that was established in Rio Vista in 1885 was discontinued in 1889, but was reinstated in 1890. By 1896, the community boasted 175 residents, eight stores, a lumber yard, steam gin, and a steam corn sheller. Rio Vista’s public school system also began that year. Telephone lines were installed during the early years of the 20th century, when three passenger trains were arriving daily at the depot. The thriving economy was shattered, however, by a fire in 1914 that destroyed 24 buildings. Many of the businesses were hurt, and the rebuilding process was slow. Cotton sustained the economy during that time, and dairy farming later became important. Just as the coming of the railroad had initiated growth in Rio Vista during the 1880s, the building of State Highway 174 through town in the 1950s brought a boost to the economy. From its beginnings as a railroad community, Rio Vista has been an important part of Johnson County history. – Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1985. Located on the Pavilon Square, Rio Vista.
Grange Hall Cemetery. Nolands River was an early Johnson County community, established in the late 1850s. A local club of the Grange, a farmers’ fraternal organization, organized her in 1874, and built a two-story meeting hall called “Grange Hall” that also housed a local school, church and Masonic lodge. In 1878, W.P. and S.M. Kizziar donated land to the Masonic lodge for use as a cemetery. Of the hundreds of marked graves in Grange Hall Cemetery, more than half date from before 1900. Several early unknown burials are marked by rocks or Bois D’Arc posts. The Menefee family reunion has been held here or nearby annually since 1891. Grange Hall declined after the nearby railroad town of Rio Vista was established in the 1880s. Historic Texas Cemetery – 2006. – Historical Marker Text. Located 1.9 mi W on CR 1208, Rio Vista.