Joshua, located eight miles north of Cleburne, on the Santa Fe Railway, is a town of about 1,500 inhabitants. – History of Texas, 1922, by W. Barrett Travis.
Methodism in Joshua. Prior to the establishment of Joshua as a railroad town in 1881, Methodists in the area worshiped at the Caddo Grove and Marystown communities. A Methodist church was organized in Joshua in 1883 with assistance from the Marystown church. Constituted as part of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, the congregation is now known as the First United Methodist Church of Joshua. The fellowship has actively supported community affairs and missionary efforts. Its ties to earlier area Methodist congregations have made the Joshua church an important link in Johnson County history. – Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1983. Located on the corner Main Street and 4th Street, Joshua.