Jackson County, on U.S. Highway 59 in the Coastal Prairies region southwest of Houston, borders both Lavaca Bay and Carancahua Bay and is bounded by Calhoun, Victoria, Lavaca, Colorado, Wharton, and Matagorda counties.
Cities, Towns & Communities
Texana served as the county seat at the county’s inception in 1836. The first courthouse building was built there in 1858. In 1883 voters elected to move the county seat to the new town of Edna. A new courthouse was built in Edna in 1884; it burned in June 1900. A third courthouse was built in 1906, a three-story brick Beaux-Arts style domed-building. The current courthouse was built in 1954.
Jackson County Courthouse
County Clerk – Barbara Williams
115 W. Main, Room 101
Edna, TX 77957
Fax: 361-782-3132 email
Apply for a Birth or Death Certificates contact local Registrar Barbara Williams. Application form – pdf document.
Inventory of county records, Jackson County Courthouse, Edna, Texas, 1980. Digital book online at the Portal to Texas History.
Inventory of the county archives of Texas : Jackson County, no. 120, 1940. Digital book online at the Portal to Texas History.
Jackson County History from the Handbook of Texas Online.
The Cavalcade of Jackson County, 1938, by Ira T. Taylor.
Jackson County Memorial Library
411 North Wells Street, Room 121
Edna, Texas 77957 website
The Jackson County News newspaper