Barnhart. Named for William F. Barnhart, an agent of the Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railroad, this community was founded in 1910. During the 1920s and 1930s it was a major freighting center and considered by many the largest inland livestock shipping point. The Ozona-Barnhart Trap Co. set up cattle holding pens (traps) along the trails into town to protect area ranches. Barnhart declined with decreased rail traffic. It was once the site of a school, post office, newspaper, drugstore, theatre, bank, four cafes, two hotels, three groceries, and a variety of other businesses. - Historical Marker Text, 1981. Marker located off US 67. Marker reported missing.
Barnhart Cowboy Church. Local residents, representing several faiths, gathered for an outdoor community meeting in 1914 to organize this Union church. The sanctuary was constructed by cowboys from area ranches, working under the supervision of W. H. Parker and his brother-in-law Henry Barker. Completed in 1917, the building was known as the Cowboy Church. Since the early days of Barnhart, members of various Christian denominations have worshiped here together. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1981. Located at 5th and Draper in Barnhart.