Hidalgo County, Texas

Hidalgo County, in South Texas, is bordered by Cameron County on the east, Brooks County on the north, Starr County on the west, and Mexico on the south. The county seat, Edinburg, is at the junction of U.S. highways 107 and 281.

Cities, Towns & Communities

Abram-Perezville | Alamo | Alton | Citrus City | Cuevitas | Donna | Edcouch | Edinburg (Chapin) – county seat | El Gato | Elsa | Faysville | Granjeno | Hargill | Havana | Heidelberg | Hidalgo (Edinburgh) | Horcon Tract | La Blanca | La Homa | La Joya | La Villa | Lopezville | McAllen | Mercedes | McCook | Mila Doce | Mission | Monte Alto | Monte Christo | Muniz | Nurillo | Olivarez | Palmhurst | Palmview Penitas | Pharr | Progreso | Progreso Lakes | Runn | San Carlos | San Juan | Scissors | South Alamo | Sullivan City | Val Verde | Weslaco


In 1852, the town of La Habitacion was renamed Edinburgh and became the county seat.  Later, the town was renamed Hidalgo. After a severe flood in 1886, the town of Hidalgo was moved two miles north of the Rio Grande River. Later, the town was moved away from the river to the site of present-day Hidalgo.  In 1908, the town of Chapin became the county seat. In 1911, the town’s name was changed to Edinburg.

The Hidalgo County Courthouse, built at Edinburgh in 1886, after the flood, was a two story building with a cupola.  In the early 1900s a fire destroyed the second story and cupola. The now-one story building is standing at Edinburgh, now called Hidalgo.  In 1908, a large Spanish-style courthouse was built in Chapin (now called Edinburg) it was torn down in 1954, after the opening of the present modern-style courthouse.

Hidalgo County Courthouse
County Clerk’s Office
100 N. Closner
Edinburg, TX 78539
Phone: (956) 318-2100
Hidalgo County Government Website


Hidalgo County. Formed from Starr and Cameron counties. Created January 24, 1842. Organized April 7, 1854. Named in Honor of Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla — 1753-1811 Mexican Patriot County Seat, 1852, Edinburgh, name changed February 7, 1861, to Hidalgo. Moved to present site, then called Chapin, October 12, 1908. Name changed to Edinburg, February 3, 1911.  Historical Marker text, 1936.  Marker location, Courthouse Lawn, Cano & US 281 Bus., Edinburg.

Hidalgo County History from the Handbook of Texas Online

The Centennial Celebration of the Organization of Hidalgo County in Texas, 1952, by the Hidalgo County Centennial Corporation

The Lower Rio Grande Valley of Texas, 1954, by J. Lee and Lillian J. Stambaugh.

Hidalgo County Cemeteries

Edinburg History Written in 1937

Hidalgo County Courthouse, Edinburg, Texas

Hidalgo County Courthouses

Depot, Ice Plant and Elevator, Pharr, Texas early 1900s

Hidalgo County Postcards and Photographs

Photos of Donna | Edinburg | Mission | Pharr | Weslaco


EdinburgTX 26° 18′ 6.2532″ N98° 9′ 48.0348″ W