Grayson County, in north central Texas, is bordered by the Red River and by Fannin, Collin, Denton, and Cooke counties. The county seat, Sherman, is located approximately sixty-five miles north of Dallas.
Cities, Towns & Communities
Bells | Collinsville | Denison | Dorchester | Gordonville | Gunter | Howe | Knollwood | Luella | Pottsboro | Sadler | Sherman – county seat | Southmayd | Tioga | Tom Bean | Van Alstyne | Whitesboro | Whitewright
The advent of the automobile effected significant changes in Grayson County. The first countywide road system, all gravel, was established in 1915, and by 1920 Grayson County had hard-surfaced roads. In 1926 county residents registered 12,314 automobiles, a number that increased to 14,501 in 1930 and 28,427 in 1950. By 1970 the number of registered vehicles had grown to 36,833, and the county had numerous state highways as well as U.S. highways 377, 75, 82, and 69. Continue Reading Grayson County History Written in 1922 >>
History of Grayson County, Texas, 1979, 2 vols.
Grayson County, 1967, by Graham Landrum and Allen Smith
A History of Grayson County, 1936, by Mattie D. Lucas and Mita H. Hall