Garza county has had two courthouses. Garza County’s first courthouse, a two-story plain stone building designed by M. S. Hall, was completed in July 1908 and was designed to be a temporary courthouse for the county until a permanent courthouse could be built. The temporary courthouse served the county for 15 years until the current courthouse, a three-story red brick and concrete structure, shown at right and above, was opened in 1923.
Garza County Courthouse. After Garza County’s creation in 1876, it was not until 1907, at the initiative of cereal producer C. W. Post, that the county was formally organized. In 1922, when the population had grown to about 4500 and the cotton industry had spurred economic growth, citizens approved the sale of bonds to finance a new courthouse. The commissioners court selected prominent regional architect Guy Carlander of Amarillo to design the courthouse, and awarded the construction bid to the Fred T. Bone Company, also of Amarillo. Built in 1923 of reinforced concrete with brick exterior and cast stone details, the Garza County courthouse is a late, but fine, example of Prairie School architecture.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 2000 Historical Marker text.
Garza County Courthouse
District & County Clerk – Jim Plummer email
1st Floor, 300 West Main Street,
PO Box 366
Post, TX 79356