Old Shinoak Springs. Named for dwarf oaks. Before fencing began in 1880’s, springs attracted cattle, horses, deer. Settlers hauled water for home and stock use. Town of Shinoak Springs thrived until M.K.&T. Railroad bypassed it in 1880. Schoolhouse of rawhide lumber was built in 1882. Had seats of split logs. Pupils numbered 55. School grounds drew crowds of 8,000 for political rallies and camp meetings. A lake was formed 1911 by a rock dam. “Frank Gray Memorial Park,” given to city of Gorman, is now recreation and reunion ground, at site of old springs. Historical marker, erected 1966. From Gorman take FM 8 about 1 mile west to dirt road leading to Frank Gray Park. Follow dirt road about 1 mile. Marker is located near picnic pavilion in park.