The settlement was named Pansy Mills by H. S. Shives, one of the earliest settlers in the county, for the flower and two nearby windmills. A post office was established on June 15, 1894, with Shives as postmaster and continued until April 3, 1896. The community was located on property owned by the Kentucky Land and Cattle Company, which had a ranch camp nearby. The Pansy school district was established around 1893. By 1927 it was one of seven districts in the county; that year it had a student enrollment of thirty-six. The school served the area until it was consolidated with the McAdoo school on May 11, 1936. The Pansy Baptist Church was built by September 13, 1905, and a parsonage was later added. Although the church was damaged by fire in 1965, services continued to be held in the mid-1980s. Source: Handbook of Texas Online.
Near the site of Pansy Baptist Church. The Pansy Baptist Church was organized in 1905 by J. V. Leatherwood, John Holt, P. H. Leatherwood, Snow Loyd, and J. M. Leatherwood to serve the residents of the Pansy Community. Church services were conducted in the school building until 1916 when the congregation constructed its first sanctuary. An arbor was built on the church grounds for revival services. The church building was moved two miles south in 1946 for the convenience of the membership. A parsonage was erected in 1947 for the congregation’s first full-time pastor. A new sanctuary was built and was dedicated on July 16, 1950. The church building burned in August 1965, and services were held in a church member’s barn until December, when a new structure was completed. The church supported a strong mission outreach program. Through the years population dwindled in the rural community of Pansy. In 1995 the remaining members of the Pansy Baptist Church voted to disband. The church building was donated to the Mt. Zion Baptist Church, an African American congregation in Floydada. The building was moved 32 miles by 140 volunteers from Crosbyton, Pansy, Floydada, and Wiley. – Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1996. Location: Hwy 82 and FM 836, 10.3 miles east of Crosbyton