Acting on a petition by S. D. Thornton, in 1893 the Crosby county court established Sonora School District Number Eight in the area. The name Sonora was not legally changed to Farmer until 1913, but the district was always referred to as Farmer, after a pioneer, W. W. Farmer. In 1893 the community built its first schoolhouse, a one-room building financed by donations. By 1951 three other school buildings had been constructed, and the Farmer school district had grown to an area of twenty-seven square miles. The school built in 1951 was razed in 1974-75, after the Farmer district was consolidated with the Lorenzo Independent School District. In 1925 J. A. Zeh constructed a country store, which was in operation until 1965; a gin built by the Murray Company in 1929 remained in operation through the 1975 ginning season. Farmer had seventy-five residents in 1940, recorded a population of forty-nine in 1980, and did not appear on the 1990 census list. Source: Handbook of Texas Online.
Farmer Community. Girlhood home of Mrs. Ima Smith, First Lady of Texas, wife of Governor Preston Smith. Settlement began here in 1887. The school district was created in 1893, with its early building funded by gifts from friends, including residents of Amarillo and Colorado City. Religious faiths active in Farmer have been the Methodists (organized about 1890), Baptists (organized 1891), Presbyterians, Church of Christ, Seventh Day Adventists, and others. Service and social clubs have included P.T.A., Singsong, baseball club, Forty-two Club, Farmer Community Reunion. – Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1970. Location: FM 193, Farmer; From Cone, take FM 193 west about 6 miles west to Farmer.