Crosby County History Written in 1922
Crosby County. This is one of the plains counties of Northwest Texas, and until recent years has been essentially the home of stockmen. It was created in 1876, and was organized in 1886. Quite recently the county has come within the range of railroad facilities. After the completion of the Santa Fe to Lubbock, about 1910, the construction of a road from Lubbock eastward was undertaken, known as the Crosbyton South Plains Railroad. This road is now in operation as far as Crosbyton. When the county was organized the county seat was placed at Emma, but has since been moved to Crosbyton, which is the chief city, and in 1910 had a population of 800. Other towns are Emma, Estacado, Cone, Lorenzo and Ralla. For many years county of large ranches, this section is now developing into a farming region. Large farms are the rule, and most ranchmen raise a variety of feed stuffs for winter use and some cultivate cotton. Since the construction of the railroad new settlers have arrived and are demonstrating the productive value of the land and the feasibility of dry farming methods. The population of Crosby County in 1880 was 82; in 1890, 346; in 1900, 788; in 1910, 1,765; in 1920, 6,025. The total area of the county is 556,800 acres, of which 370,901 acres were included in farms or ranches in 1910. The amount of cultivated or improved land in 1900 was about 6,000 acres, and 30,000 acres in 1910.
There were 242 farms and ranches in 1910, as compared with 116 in 1900. The number of cattle enumerated in 1920 was 13,060; horses and mules, 5,764. The assessed valuation in 1920 was $4,372,564.
The chief crops in 1909 were : Hay and forage crops, 6,310 acres ; kaffir corn and milo maize, 3,563 acres ; corn, 2,189 acres ; cotton, 324 acres ; wheat, 131 acres ; while about 10,000 orchard fruit trees were enumerated. Crosbyton, the county seat, has two national banks, four nice church buildings, and a $50,000 school building. It is incor porated and one of the coming towns of the South plains. – History of Texas, 1922, by W. Barrett Travis.