Village of Cone. Named in 1903 for S. E. Cone, who helped carry mail here from the nearby town of Emma. Post Office was established same year in general store of R. E. Chapman, who became the first Postmaster. Town once had a school, stores, and churches. Now center of irrigated section, which produces cotton, sorghum grains, and wheat. – Historical Marker text. Marker erected 1969.
The community was established in 1901 and named for early settler James Stanton Cone. A post office opened there around 1903. “Uncle” Charlie Travis donated land for a school, and on February 14, 1905, the Cone school district was founded. After 1939, when Cone had an estimated 150 residents, the town decreased in population; in 1965 the Cone school district was consolidated with the schools of Ralls. In 1988 the community had the post office, three businesses, and fewer than fifty residents. In 2000 the population was seventy. Source: Handbook of Texas Online.
Cone Cemetery. Founded with burial, April 17,1897, of W. G. English, Father of J. P. and E. M. English; on land patented by the state to J. P. English, October 9, 1897. Title was adopted after post office was named in 1903 for rancher Stanton J. Cone. Cemetery was bought by Judge Pink L. Parrish for Crosby County, May 8, 1910. – Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1971.