Cedric was laid out in 1911 by Julian Bassett in an effort to kill the infant town of Ralls. Bassett had opened the town of Crosbyton in 1908 and, in a successful attempt to secure the county seat for his town, built in 1911 the Crosbyton-South Plains Railroad from Lubbock to Crosbyton. The rail line crossed John R. Ralls’s ranch, and Ralls decided in 1911 to open a town, named for him, on the railroad. Bassett, wishing to be rid of the competition posed by Ralls’ townsite, refused Ralls a depot. He laid out Cedric, where he built four brick business buildings, which were never occupied, and a depot. Settlers in Ralls freighted supplies from the railroad stop in Cedric to their community. By 1915, when the Santa Fe Railroad bought the Crosbyton-South Plains Railroad and made Ralls a regular stop, Bassett had conceded that he could not destroy the rival settlement and sold Cedric to John Ralls, who moved Cedric’s depot and sidewalks to Ralls. Source: Handbook of Texas Online.