Ireland. To quote Mr. Grubb: “The little town was first called Lanham for Governor Lanham, but the postoffice of Lanhan objected to taking the name of their town. The new town was then named for another governor, and the official name became Ireland. – History of Coryell County, 1936, by Frank E. Simmons
Ireland School. School classes were first conducted in a church tabernacle when Ireland was founded in 1911. The town was platted on the Coryell–Hamilton County line and named for Texas Governor John Ireland (1827-1896). A wooden frame school was erected in 1914, and in 1921 five acres were purchased at this site for a new two-story brick school building. Peak enrollment occurred in 1940 when thirty students graduated. All grades were taught here until 1943 when high school classes moved to the Jonesboro and Evant Schools. This school closed in 1964, and the building was demolished in 1984. – Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1986. Located at school site, Fm 932 at north city limits, Ireland.