Comanche History 1922. Comanche has been the county site since June 18, 1859, being removed at that date from the old town of Cora, fourteen miles southeast, which was the original seat of government from June 4. 1856, until date of removal.
At the census of 1920 the population was 3,524, as compared with 2,756 in 1910 and 2,070 in 1900. The assessed polls for 1920, which included few, if any, women, were 408. The present city limits cover four square miles, while the independent school district, including the city, comprises about fifteen square miles. The city assessment for 1920 shows real estate, $1,971,967; personal property, $1,115,203, which latter includes money and credits, $475,333, or almost half of the personal property assessed, total assessment, $3,087,170. The school district shows $235,673 additional real estate and $68,242 additional personal property, or a total assessment of $3,391,085.
The scholastic enrollment in the school in September, 1920, was over 900. Schools are maintained from September until May, or nine months, with 23 teachers besides the city superintendent, in four school buildings, three for graded schools and one high school. The court house square and its approaches are paved with cement grouting, surfaced with cement and finished with asphalt, which cost about $20,000.
There are two lines of railroad converging here, the Cotton Belt extension from McGregor, terminating here, and the Fort Worth & Rio Grande, extending from Fort Worth to Menard. The Western Union has a telegraph city office and the Southwestern long distance has location with a strong local telephone line leading to all parts of the county. The line of the Texas Power & Light Company passes through from Brownwood to Dublin, and furnishes light, power and heat for all demands.
There are between 80 and 100 trading and mechanical concerns, including some 30 or 40 mercantile establishments ; with three banks. two national and one state. There is an ice plant, a sand-lime brick factory, a wholesale grocery, an oil refinery, a flouring mill and a cotton warehouse among other concerns.
Churches are well represented, including Methodists. Baptists, Christians, Disciples, Presbyterians. Episcopalians and Universalists, all having buildings of their own. The Catholics are unrepresented except in an occasional mission.
Fraternal societies are strong, the Masons having one of the finest temples in the state, while the Odd Fellows and Knights of Pythias each has its own lodge building. Two order of Woodmen is strongly organized, and has a well-equipped rented hall.
The last bank statement, December 29, 1920. showed an original capital of $265,000, with surplus nad undivided profits, $102,281.54. deposits $1,127,895.09. loans $1,046,389.54, cash $309,244.18, and other assets totaling $1,645,511.94. excess of assets over outside liabilities. $367,281.54.
The city tax rate is 50 cents general and 15 for road purposes. The school tax is 50 cents. For 1921 the city has reduced the city poll from $1.00 to 75 cents, making $1.50 for a husband and wife. – History of Texas, 1922, by W. Barrett Travis.