Cities, Towns & Communities
Cochran County History 1922. Created in 1876, and still unorganized, Cochran County lies to the west of Hockley and its western boundary is New Mexico. The surface is high and level, and while the county has no streams, and depends upon an underground water supply, the prairie grasses have made this section a natural home for cattle. The few ranchmen in the county have small orchards and a small acreage under cultivation, and it has been demonstrated that the staple crops and several varieties of fruits can be raised successfully. The county is without railroads, and the fact that it has not been more fully developed is largely due to its long distance from transportation lines. The nearest railroad is the Pecos & Northern Texas division of the Santa Fe, completed in 1911.
In 1900 population was 25; in 1910, 65 ; in 1920, 67. The assessed valuation in 1909 was $383,765 ; in 1913, $527,936; in 1920, $902,195. In 1900 the census reported only one farm in the county, while in 1910 there were sixteen. The total area is 556,160 acres, the greater part of which was included in farms or ranches in 1910, but only 1,826 acres classified as “improved land.” The last census reported 15,390 cattle. About 350 acres were planted in corn and kaffir corn and milo maize in 1909, and there were over 1,000 orchard fruit trees. – History of Texas,1922, by W. Barrett Travis.