Brunswick, Texas

Brunswick, sixteen miles southeast of Rusk in southern Cherokee County

History

Brunswick was established in 1903 by the Cherokee Orchard Company and the St. Louis Southwestern Railway, which developed a demonstration farm there for the scientific cultivation of orchard and garden plants. The farm was supervised by Edward Body, who named the new community after his native town in Canada. A Presbyterian church was built at Brunswick, but no school. Unfortunately, the location proved to be in a “frost pocket,” where fruit buds were often nipped. In 1931 the St. Louis Southwestern abandoned the farm, the depot, and the packing plants. One store and a population of forty-five were reported in 1940. In the early 1990s Brunswick was a dispersed rural community with an estimated fifty residents. The town no longer appeared on maps in 2000. Source: Handbook of Texas Online

Location

31° 35′ 38.706″ N, 95° 3′ 55.0584″ W