Atoy [was] settled in the ’40s by the Hatchetts, Looneys, Jacobs, Manesses, Sessions, and Ashmores.- A History of Cherokee County, 1934 by Hattie Joplin Roach
Atoy was first settled in the 1840s, but a community did not develop there until after the Civil War. An Atoy post office operated in 1870–71, and a school was in operation by the mid-1890s. During the mid-1930s Atoy had a school, a church, a store, and a number of houses. After World War II the school was consolidated with the Rusk schools. In the early 1990s Atoy still had a church, a store, and a community center. By 1999 the store and the community center had closed down, and the community consisted of a cemetery, three churches, and scattered houses. Source: Handbook of Texas Online.