Cities, Towns & Communities
Castro County History 1922. Castro County – Created from Bexar County August 21, 1876. Named for Henry Castro. Situated in the plains of Northwest Texas, and separated from New Mexico by the county of Parmer. Organized December 18, 1891. Area, 870 square miles. County seat, Dimmitt. Population of county in 1900, 400; in 1920, 1,948. Surface, rolling prairie. Soil, a reddish, sandy, very fertile loam.
Stream channels : Running Water draw, a tributary of the Brazos; Tule Creek, a tributary of Red River, and Frio, a tributary of the Terra Blanco fork of Red River—wet weather water courses. An abundant underground water supply exists along the creek beds and contiguous to them and is tapped by wells of from 50 to 100 feet in depth. Farther away from them water (of most excellent quality) can be obtained at an average depth of 200 feet. The rich growth of native grasses, supplemented by forage crops, renders the county an ideal one for cattle and general stock raising, which are the prin cipal industries and are conducted on a large scale. During recent years attention has been directed to farming, with an encouraging degree of success. Whenever rainfall is sufficient or water is put on land by irrigation good crop yields are assured.
Taxable values of county in 1920, $4,022,404. The Pecos & North Texas Railroad crosses the northwest corner of the county. – History of Texas, 1922, by W. Barrett Travis.