Elgin (pronounced El-gen with a hard g) is located 19 miles east of Austin and 15 miles north of Bastrop. Most of the city lies in Bastrop County, part of the city in Travis County. Elgin is at the intersection of U.S. Highway 290 and State Highway 95. Elgin is also known as The Sausage Capital of Texas and the Brick Capital of the Southwest.
Elgin. Founded 1871 when nearby pioneer Hogeye citizens moved townsite to newly completed Houston & Texas Central Railroad. Named for surveyor R. M. Elgin and known as “Brick Capital of the Southwest.” Made handpressed brick as early as 1882. Area noted as agricultural center. – Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1967. Marker located at small park on Main St., Elgin.
Elgin. After Houston & Texas Central Railroad built through this area in 1871, town was platted (1872) and named for Robert M. Elgin (1825-1913), H. & T. C. land commissioner. Brick and tile, for which Elgin is widely known, have been chief products here since 1882 when Thomas O’Connor (1846-1937) made hand-molded, sun-dried brick. Other manufacturing and agricultural products bolster the economy. Settlers of six ethnic origins have made the city a center of cultural richness, with good homes, churches and schools. – Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1972. Marker located in Elgin Memorial Park – N. Main St. (SH 95), Elgin.
Elgin Christian Church. The Rev. B. B. Sanders assisted citizens of Elgin in organizing this congregation in 1888. Many early members came from surrounding communities. Worship services were held in the Presbyterian church until the Christian church sanctuary was built in 1892. That building was destroyed in the 1900 Texas storm, and its successor, built that same year, met the same fate in a 1915 storm. A new building was erected in 1916 and, with modifications, served until a new structure was completed in 1965. For over a century, this church has been a part of Elgin history. – Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1990. Located at 17 N. Avenue B., Elgin.
Elgin Methodist Church. Organized in 1874 as the Elgin Methodist Episcopal Church, South, this was the first congregation started in the town of Elgin. A small frame sanctuary built here in 1882 was replaced by this Gothic revival structure. Built by local contractor J. C. Miller, it was completed in October 1906. Prominent features include its stairstep gable corbelling, small corner pinnacles around the larger towered entryway, and memorial art glass windows. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 1988. Located at 216 W. 3rd St., Elgin.
First Presbyterian Church of Elgin. The town of Elgin was founded in 1872 along the route of the Houston & Texas Central Railroad. By 1881 a Cumberland Presbyterian church was organized by the Rev. A. J. Adkisson and 10 charter members. The congregation met in local churches and the schoolhouse until 1886 when they purchased property and built a frame church and manse. The first full-time pastor, the Rev. S. A. Comer, was called in 1908, and in 1909 a red brick and wood church building was erected. The church celebrated its 100th anniversary in 1981 and remains an integral part of the community. – Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1997. Located at 303 N. Avenue C, Elgin.
Elgin Lodge No. 328, A. F. & A. M. Chartered June 18, 1870, as Perryville Lodge No. 328, at Perryville (or Hogeye), about 2.5 miles south of here. Removed to Elgin in 1877, lodge was renamed in 1901. Its first two Masonic halls were used jointly with public schools. McDade Lodge No. 664 merged with Elgin Lodge in 1934. – Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1972. Located at 30 N. Avenue C, Elgin.