Fitzgerald, on Mound Prairie Creek eleven miles north of Palestine in northern Anderson County, was probably named for W. A. Fitzgerald, who settled in the area in the 1850s and who was the oldest resident of Fitzgerald in 1901. The settlement had a post office from 1888 to 1905. In 1896 C. D. Kelley was the postmaster, and Fitzgerald had two general stores and a flour mill and gin. The community was probably abandoned in the early 1900s, as it was not labeled on state highway maps by the 1930s. Source: Handbook of Texas Online.
Concord Baptist Church and Cemetery. Three families named Fitzgerald moved to Texas in the 1840s and purchased land at Mound Prairie Creek, eleven miles north of Palestine. The area in which they settled became known as Fitzgerald. As other families moved to the area, interest grew in organizing a church. Fifteen charter members met at the Fitzgerald schoolhouse in 1871 and formed a Baptist church. It is believed they named it Concord for a community in Louisiana, the former home of some members of the church. By 1883 the congregation was holding services in its own church building. A wooden frame sanctuary was erected at this site in 1901-02 that served the congregation until 1940 when it was destroyed by fire. A brick structure was begun in 1940. The cemetery and church were located on land previously owned by pioneers William A. and Michael R. Fitzgerald. The oldest marked grave is that of Joel Kelley in 1872, although it is believed the site was in use before that time. Among those buried here are early settlers and their families and three Confederate Civil War veterans. The site continues to serve the Concord community and is maintained by a cemetery association. – Historical Marker Text. Located 2 mi. north of Palestine on FM 3309, 8 mi. north on CR 404.