Lyford is on State Highway 448 and the Missouri Pacific line, between Farm roads 498 and 1921 in central Willacy County. Before the town was founded, Como Se Llama area.
Lyford. Before the arrival of the railroad, this area was a part of the King Ranch known as "Como se LLama". Lyford was developed in 1907 by executives of the Rock Island Railroad and named for attorney William H. Lyford of Illinois. Settlers came by train from the midwest and lived in tents until permanent homes could be built. An artesian well supplied water, and "Pioneer Hall" housed worship services and school classes. Later the Lyford Hotel became a focal point for the town. Soldiers and Texas Rangers protected Lyford during the border bandit raids of 1913-15. Historical Marker text, 1985. Marker location: Jackson Park, Lyford.
Old Lyford High School. Designed by the architectural firm of Smith and Kelly of Galveston, this building was constructed in1923 for the high school students of Lyford and surrounding communities. The structure is a reminder of the importance of education of the early residents of Willacy County. Representative of the neo-classical style of school architecture, the building features an entrance marked by a pediemented cornice set above the doorway. Historical Marker text, 1985. Marker Location: Simon Gomez Avenue, Lyford. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark.
First Baptist Church of Lyford. Lyford's Baptists began meeting for worship services about 1909, when the Rev. S. F. Marsh started traveling from Harlingen once a month to preach. Lyford Baptists founded the First Baptist Church in 1911, and Marsh became the First Pastor. The congregation met in community buildings until 1923, when the first church was built upon land donated by members of the Piper family. Baptisms were performed in a stock tank on a local farm until 1937. The congregation has been active in local mission efforts by establishing Spanish-speaking Baptist churches in the area. Historical Marker text, 1991. Marker location: Corner of S. Golf Ave. and E. 2nd St., Lyford.
Lyford, Texas History from the Handbook of Texas Online.
Upper right: Twin Silos, Lyford, Texas early 1900s.