Wesley Brethren Church. First congregation in Texas of the Czech-Moravian Brethren. Organized 1864 by Rev. Joseph Opocensky. Ministry had begun in homes, with settlers coming as far as 20 miles to worship. This first church built 1866, principally of hand-hewn logs. Necessary lumber was hauled by ox-carts from Galveston. Native rock and oak logs in foundation. Until about 1900, served also as school, usually with pastor as the teacher. Location: From Brenham, take FM 332 about 10 mi. SW to Wesley Church Rd., follow rd. 1/2 mi. E to church. Wesley is in Washington County but the church is in Austin County.