Union Hill, Texas
Union Hill. The Hugh and Lucy Kerr family from Tennessee started the Kerr settlement in this area in 1831. W. B. McClellan (1804-80) from North Carolina bought land from W. P. Kerr in 1844 and began a second settlement. Union Academy was operating by 1850. Union Hill Post Office opened in 1854. Mrs. Lucy Kerr gave acreage at this point for a Methodist church; Masonic lodge and school soon shared the site. Stores, a hotel, and other buildings stood to the west. Unincorporated, the town of 800 dwindled after 1870, as railroad facilities in Burton (2 mi. south) drew away the local businesses.- Historical Marker Text. Located 2 mi. N of Burton on FM 2780.
The old town of Union Hill, three miles north of Burton, had its site selected by a local physician, Dr. Gant, who also supplied its name. Near this place the Goeher family was massacred by the Indians in 1838. - The History of Brenham and Washington County, 1915 by Mrs. R. E. Pennington