Montell is located on State Highway 55, about 20 miles north of Uvalde in the northwestern part of Uvalde County.
Montell Methodist Church. A Methodist Church mission was established in the community of Montell in 1889. Served by missionary N. W. Keith, the congregation met in a number of locations, including a brush arbor in the summer months. A Union Sunday School was organized by 1895. A permanent church building was dedicated on June 1, 1908. Services were held once a month except for a period during Word War II when they were temporarily suspended. Since 1948 the congregation has met for worship on alternating Sundays. Descendants of pioneer members remain active in the church. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986. Historical Marker text. Marker location: Highway 55, behind Church of the Ascension in Montell.
Church of the Ascension. Bishop W. P. Elliott held first Episcopal rites in Montell, 1890. Church was built with donations from friends throughout the world, under the leadership of the Rev. Richard Galbraith, who came from Ireland in 1883. The first service was held in this edifice Christmas Day, 1890. Services of Consecration by the Right Rev. J. S. Johnston, Bishop of West Texas, 1891. Historical Marker text, 1965.
Montell Cemetery, also known as Church of the Ascension Cemetery, is located nearby.
Montell, Texas History from the Handbook of Texas Online.