Made Upton County Seat in 1921. Named for F. E. Rankin, who gave site for railway station-- the center of community life over and above its business dealings; was scene of cowboy dances on Saturday nights, church services on Sundays. Home of Rankin Museum and of world champion rodeo stars Toots Mansfield and Allen Holder. Erected by Upton County Historical Survey Committee. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1964. Located on US 67, about 6 miles E. of Rankin in roadside park.
Rankin Cemetery. This cemetery was established in 1915. Soon after the founding of Rankin, by civic leaders Ira Yates, J. H. Felps, Tom F. Hickox, and Dr. J. H. Johnson. Johnson's niece, Mary Evelyn Johnson, was the first to be buried here in 1916. Many burials occurred during the 1920s. When population in the area increased greatly after oil was discovered in Upton and Pecos counties. Rankin Cemetery is known to contain the unmarked graves of two bank robbers. The graveyard is a good reflection of the heritage of this area of the state. - Historical marker text. Marker erected 1985. Directions: Take Main St. S out of town about 1/2 mile then go E. about 1 mile to cemetery, Rankin. Rankin Cemetery at texascemeteries.org
First State Bank of Rankin. Founded in 1911 on the Kansas City, Mexico & Orient Railroad, the town of Rankin saw for immense oil fields discovered in its trade area in 1923-1926. Local business expanded greatly. The first state bank of Rankin-- Upton County's first financial institution-- opened June 4,1927. Original officers were John F. Lane, business and civic leader, president; J. P. Rankin, rancher, vice president. Directors: Harry Baldwin, oil man; T. J. Murphy, Rancher; G. W. Newberry, merchant; W. M. Noelke, rancher; B. S. Taylor, merchant. W. H. Holcombe served as the bank's first cashier. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1977. Located at 10th and Main St., Rankin.
First Church in Upton County. After pioneers of Upland (12 miles N.) resettled here in 1912 on Kansas City, Mexico & Orient Railway, they held religious services in the railroad depot, then acquired a non-denominational church site on this corner. Ira G. Yates, later an oil baron, headed building fund donors' list. George E. Blanton, a Baptist; Dr. J. H. Johnson, Church of Christ; and H. H. Russell, Methodist, were trustees. The "Rankin Union Church" building, finished in 1915, housed local school two years. It was county's only church until the late 1920s. This site was sold to the Methodists in 1939. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1976. Located at 8th and Half Sts. Rankin.
Elliott Ranch. Built 1880 near old Butterfield Stage Road by Geo. Elliott, from San Antonio, one of first to go so far out on open range. Had to haul water from head of the Concho, 50 miles. His home was first polling place in what became Upton County in 1887. Headquarters 1905-1928 for Mayer Halff and brother's J. M., "Quien Sabe", Circle Dot herds. After Upton County organized, 1910, served as a mail station, a salt house, cowboys' bunkhouse. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1965. Marker located at the Yates Hotel (5th and Main Sts.), Rankin.
Yates Hotel. Built as showplace by Ira Yates, for boom crowds drawn by his $15,000,000 gusher of 1926, on dry ranch with which he was "stuck" in swap off of a general store. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1964. Located at the corner of 5th and Main St., Rankin.
Weir No. 1 Oil Well. Except for the original Yates Ranch gusher of 1926, most dramatic oil discovery in Upton County. Brought in December 6, 1961. West of this site 3.5 miles. First quadruple completion of petroleum engineers the most important development of the year 1961-- and the most prolific discovery in many years. Drilled to depth of 12,432 feet. Plugged back at 9,925 feet. Produces from upper, middle and lower strawn zones, and from the bend, with perforations in lower detrital gas zone. Contractor was Brahaney Drilling Co. Discovery made by E. G. Rodman, W. D. Noel and Odessa Natural Gasoline Co., founded by Rodman and Noel, and affiliated with El Paso Natural Gas Products Co. Rodman and Noel, who began their Upton County operations in 1940, have been led in the establishment of a vast petrochemical complex in Odessa. This utilizes in the making of such things as plastics, many petroleum by-products once scrapped as waste. Such leadership and such wells as Weir No. 1 have enabled Upton County to remain for many years one of the outstanding production areas in Texas. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1964. Located on SH 329, about 8 miles NW of Rankin.