the county seat of Gonzales
County, is at the confluence of the Guadalupe and San Marcos rivers, on
U.S. highways 90, 97, and 183 in the north central part of the county.
View map. As the westernmost point of Anglo-American settlement
and the closest town to San Antonio de Béxar, it was the center of much of
the Texas revolutionary activity. On October 2, 1835, Texans resisted
Mexican dragoons sent to retrieve the town cannon. Challenging the
Mexicans to "come and take it," the Texans rallied around the gun and
fought the battle of Gonzales, the first skirmish of the Texas Revolution.
Read more Gonzales History from the Handbook of Texas Online