Throckmorton 1922. Throckmorton is a small country town of about 700 inhabitants. It was founded as the county site in 1879. Until this time Williamsburg had been the seat of county government, but with the founding of Throckmorton its central location resulted in the removal not only of the county government but of the town as well. Nothing remains of Williamsburg now but a few scattering stone foundations of old buildings. Highways to Graham, Seymour, Haskell and Albany radiate from Throckmorton. The community has three churches, one modern stone high school building, one gin, one flour mill, eleven mercantile establishments, three garages, two hotels, and one bank, with a capital of $75,000. - History of Texas, 1922, by W. Barrett Travis.