Tarrant County History 1922
In order that these highways may be eligible for both federal and state aids, they are being planned to meet every requirement of both the United States Bureau of Public Roads and of the State Highway Department of Texas.
A minimum width of sixty feet will be provided as a right of way : a minimum roadway of twenty-eight feet in width ; a minimum surface of eighteen feet in width ; a maximum gradient of four per cent ; a minimum curvature of 500 feet radius, and in accordance with plans already approved by the federal and state departments.
It is estimated that it will require from two to three years to complete this work ; and that, when it is accomplished, Tarrant County will be able to boast of a county highway system second to none in the South.
Mr. R. V. Glenn, a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers and of the American Association of Engineers, is in charge of the work.
When the county seat controversy was being waged the citizens of Fort Worth entered into an agreement that if the county seat was removed to Fort Worth the citizens of the town would erect a courthouse without expense to the taxpayers of the county. A bond to this effect was entered into, which was signed by David Mauch, Thomas O. Moody, Lawrence Steele, M. T. Johnson, Julian Field, E. M. Daggett and M. J. Brinson. Other signers of .the guaranty were the following: A. C. Coleman, John Kidder. Joe Purvis, Geo. Kidder, J. S. Henley, J. W. Chapman, G. P. Farmer, J. P. Loving, L. J. Edwards, Francis Knaax, J. W. Connor, J. N. Petty, W. A. Henderson, B. P, Ayres, Abe Harris, \V. D. Connor, A. G. Davenport, A. D. Johnson, S. Gilmore, Wm. Moseley, W. M. Robinson, A. Goehenant, N. Terry, W. B. Tucker, E. Wilburn, Paul Isbell. G. T. Petty, P. E. Coleman, C. M. Peak, W. I.. Brazendine, L. Steele, Jack Inman. A contract was entered into with David Mauch for the construction of the courthouse in January, 1859. Work was inaugurated at once, but the tocsin of war was sounded before its completion and work was suspended and the building was never completed. Sufficient work was done to justify its occupancy, but the floor was never laid or doors hung on the lower story.
This building was destroyed by fire on March 29, 1876, and all public records burned.