Fort Worth History 1922
Fort Worth History Written in 1922
City of Fort Worth. The figures for the census of 1920 place Fort Worth among the largest Texas cities. The ranking order of the four chief cities of the state, on the basis of population, are San Antonio, Dallas, Houston and Fort Worth. Though population figures are supposed to furnish an estimate of a community's greatness, a more convincing standard con sists of the aggregate of material and civic resources.
On the latter basis Fort Worth has for many years presented a varied array of commercial and industrial enterprise that justifies the showing that this is one of the largest cities of the Southwest.
When Fort Worth was first enumerated as a corporation apart from Tarrant County. in the census of 1880, its population was 6,663. Dur ing the following ten years there was a gain of nearly 250 per cent. the city having 23,076 inhabitants in 1890. In 1900 the population was 26.668. or a gain of about 16 per cent. In 1910 the population was 73.312. The increase, of more than 170 per cent, was greater than that shown by any other large city of Texas. In 1920 the population was 106,874.
The county is about two-thirds prairie and one-third timber. The Cross Timbers, that novel strip of territory extending from the Arkansas River nearly to the Gulf and about ten miles in width, lies along the entire eastern border of the county. The timber is small and of great variety. The soil in the Cross Timbers is a light, sandy loam productive of all the crops of this section except wheat. Cotton, oats, corn, milo maize and all the vegetable and fruit crops are found in abundance.
Prior to the advent of the railroads the only towns in Tarrant County were Grapevine, Mansfield and Johnsons Station. The latter was named for M. T. Johnson. a pioneer settler, and was a thriving village. It was on the stage route from the East, and did a prosperous business. When the Texas & Pacific Railway was constructed through the county Johnson's Station was supplanted by Arlington, which is now easily the first among the towns of the county, Keller is a substantial, enter prising town on the Trans-Continental branch of the Texas & Pacific, fourteen miles north of Fort Worth. These and other towns in the county are described elsewhere in this volume. - History of Texas, 1922, by W. Barrett Travis.