Stonewall County History 1922
Stonewall County History Written in 1922
Created in 1886, Stonewall County was organized December 20, 1888. It is in the range of country known as the Southern. Panhandle and until the present century the nearest railroad was many miles distant. Its surface is rough, broken and rolling, with many hills and canyons and some wide stretches of level land. Under such conditions the county was available only for stockmen, and the commerce of the towns and the production of agricultural crops are a thing of the present century. In 1880 the population of the county was 104; in 1890, 1,024; in 1900, 2,183; in 1910, 5,320, and in 1920, 4.806. When the county was first organized Raynor was established as the county seat, but in 1889 the county offices were moved to Aspermont. Other places in the county now are Peacock, Swenson and Old Glory. All the towns in the county at present are railroad towns. There is one inland postoffice at Dorris. The county has now three strong and well established banks. the First National Bank of Aspermont, at Aspermont, Texas ; the Peacock Bank, at Peacock, and the First Bank of Swenson, at Swenson.
Stonewall County received its first railroad facilities from the Kansas City, Mexican & Orient Railroad built across the southeastern part of the county in 1904. In 1909 the Stamford & Northwestern was built from Stamford to Spur, a distance of about eighty-five miles, giving Stonewall County railroad communication with the railroad system of the state.
Stonewall County is developing into a great cotton feed and small grain country; large quantities of melons and vegetables are grown.
Some statistics from the last census afford the following view of the county's economic conditions: There were 834 farms as compared with 381 in 1900. The total area is 545,280 acres, of which 400,379 were in farms, about 67,000 acres in "improved land," as compared with about 19,000 acres in 1900. Cattle to the number of 26,466 were enumerated ; about 6,200 horses and mules ; 2,797 hogs ; 21,002 poultry. In 1909, 21,425 acres were planted in cotton, 8,115 acres in kafir corn and milo maize ; 3,708 acres in corn and there were about 13,000 orchard trees. In 1903 the assessed valuation was $1,725,244: in 1913, $4,210,340, and in 1920, $5,052,844.
There is some prospecting in the oil industry at present but little development. Stonewall County will gin something like 20,000 bales of cotton this year and abundance of feed of every kind and several thou sand bushels of wheat and oats.
The present county officials are : R. J. King, county judge ; C. E. Brannen, county clerk ; W. B. Bingham, sheriff and tax collector ; Miss A. C. Bulloch, treasurer ; Miss M. Sudie Abbott, county superintendent M. N. Davidson, tax assessor ; J. F. Lee. surveyor ; H. F. Grindstaff, county attorney. - History of Texas, 1922, by W. Barrett Travis.