Glen Rose, Texas
Glen Rose, the county seat of Somervell County, is at the junction of U.S. Highway 67 and State Highway 144, on the Paluxy River in the central part of the county.
The area was first settled in 1849 by Charles Barnard, who left the area in 1854. In 1859, Charles Barnard returned to the area and built the first store on what is now the site of Glen Rose. The next year he contracted with Milam County for a section of the land. County officials agreed to donate the title to him on the condition that Barnard build a flour and grist mill. He agreed, began construction on the mill, and named the town Barnard's Mill. The mill itself became a central part of community life; it served as a dance hall, as a meetinghouse, and in later years as the town hospital. In 1871 Barnard sold the mill to Maj. Tyler Calhoun Jordan of Dallas for $65,000. Popular tradition holds that Jordan's wife, Annie R. Lewis Jordan, suggested the name Rose Glen, because the scenic countryside reminded her of her native Scotland. However, census records indicate that she was born in Alabama. At a town meeting in 1872 residents agreed on the name Glen Rose rather than the alternative proposal. A post office was opened there in 1874, and Glen Rose became county seat of the newly formed Somervell County in 1875.
Though the county grew slowly, the town prospered. By the end of the 1800s it had several mills, three churches, two weekly newspapers, a school, a courthouse, a cotton gin, and the Glen Rose Collegiate Institute. Read More Glen Rose History from the Handbook of Texas Online >>
Glen Rose, the county seat, is unincorporated and has a population of 800 inhabitants. The Paluxy, which runs through the town, is a beautiful rock bottom stream, 300 feet wide and empties into the Brazos River, two miles from Glen Rose. Almost every residence has a flowing well which ranges in depth of from fifty to three hundred feet. There are three strata of water encountered in digging for water ; the first is reached from fifty to seventy-five feet and is fine limestone water with no sulphur at all. The next stratum is about one to two hundred feet and is what is called sulphur water, which is very strong and flows with a larger volume than the first one. The third stratum, or what is called Jumbo, is reached from two hundred and fifty to three hundred feet. This is also strong sulphur and warmer than the other two strata. These deep wells will flow thirty feet high above the ground. The government analysis here of the water is given as more nearly like the waters of Carlsbad. Germany, than any other waters in the United States. - History of Texas, 1922, by W. Barrett Travis.
A tornado destroyed thirty-six buildings in Glen Rose in 1902. At least 10 people were killed and a dozen or so more injured.