Stratford, the county seat of Sherman County, is located on U.S. highways 54 and 287 in the western part of the county.
|VIews of Stafford Texas - Farmers Mill and Elevator Company, Morris and Henry Livery and Feed Sale Stable, Hotel and the Stratford Railroad Depot.1900s-1910s|
The site was settled around 1885, when Aaron Norton bought 100 sections of land from the railroads, and was named by Walter Colton, Norton's hired manager, after Stratford, Virginia, the boyhood home of Robert E. Lee. Colton, a native of Kentucky, had been an admirer of Lee. In 1900 the site that Colton and his associates platted became a shipping point and post office on the Chicago, Rock Island and Gulf Railway. An election resulted in Stratford's replacing Coldwater as county seat in July 1901. During the following decade small businessmen and homesteaders were attracted to the vicinity by the advertisements of the Standard Land Company, a Rock Island immigration agency based in Kansas City, which established a branch office in Stratford. George M. Kerr began a new county newspaper, the Stratford Star, in 1901, replacing the Sherman County Banner of Coldwater. By 1910 Stratford had three churches, a school, two banks, and a population of 600. Read More Stratford History from the Handbook of Texas Online >>
Stratford Cemetery was awarded a Historic Texas Cemetery Marker in 2004.